Ok, if you’re doing business Iike me, you’re going to need a little help! It’s a small town and good to know who’s got your back. One theme I noticed is an absolute love & appreciation for my personal contact at each business. If they’re on this list, they’ve saved my ass more than once…
Here’s my Top 5 Local Ojai Business Resources:
- Matilija Mailcall: I love Follette, the owner. She gets it. I’ve called her from NYC with special last minute requests, and she steps up to get the job done. The Womack Company (the training firm that my husband and I run) has a mailbox there, but we get to use the street address for our business correspondences (instead of PO Box #…). I think it’s an elegant solution. Plus she’ll call me when a FedEx package arrives. I don’t think I’m treated differently, I think she takes this kind of great personal care of all her customers.
- Ojai Coffee Roasting Company: Ok, so maybe not an obvious choice. But looking back since 1998 when I’ve moved to Ojai, The Roasters has been an integral part of me building my community here. I’ve had job interviews there, met clients & friends, and had conversations that change the way I think about the world. (*I feel a blog post about my version of the Latte Factor brewing soon…) They’ve got free wifi and amazing espresso. And again, Stacey, the co-owner with her husband, is a sweetheart and makes me feel welcome.
- Ojai Creates: they sell file folders, name tags, ink cartridges and a great selection of pens… Sounds trivial, but I want cool gear locally. And they’ve got it.
- Linda Chapman, Tax Accountant. The first thing I noticed about her is she actually answers the phone. If she’s there, she’ll talk. I can’t tell you what a huge time savings this is and what peace of mind she’s given me as we’ve grown our company.
- Janet at Bank of America’s Ojai branch. Think what you will of BofA… but Janet, the branch manager gets things done right. I use all the online banking tools like Payroll and Bill Pay. But sometimes I need to talk to a real person, and that’s Janet.
So these are my personal endorsements… for now. I think I’ll keep making a bunch of these TOP 5 picks because it makes me think about who’s necessary and what it takes to make my life and business run smoothly.