I’m speaking on a panel in NYC next week as part of a client’s women’s leadership initiative within their company. I LOVE one of the interview questions they sent in advance:
“What advice do you have on remaining creative and innovative in the day-to-day aspect life.”
What I love is the question itself because it acknowledges that being in that inspired state isn’t a guarantee that you’ll stay there. It takes effort to keep coming back to it.
Here’s my TOP 10 List for Getting Back to My Creative & Innovative Life
1. Find Your People: After you find them, talk, Skype, Google+… do something to surround yourself with them. They may not be in your actual neighborhood, but don’t worry, they’re out there.
2. Laugh, Sweat, and Move: There are studies that looking a pictures of kittens and babies makes us feel happy. Find what that is for you, and visit it often. Here’s a link to my Pinterest boards. That’s where I collect pictures that make me happy. And here’s a picture on Instagram from my pedometer, what a dance party looks like, movement wise. Shake your booty. You’ll feel different.
3. Take on A BIGGER Project: maybe you’ve just been playing small. Step up and do something HUGE. Yes, it may seem counter intuitive… but TRY it.
4. Make 1 Change: be in charge of something. Some people say they hate change, others say they love it. See if initiating the change makes you enjoy it more…
5. Take a Risk to Ask for something FABULOUS: I reached out to a woman with a RADIO program and just got booked. I’ve known her for over 2 years. SOMEBODY’s got to make the first move.
6. Turn OFF the TV: You heard me…
7. Cancel something you didn’t want to do. I hereby grant you permission to NOT do that thing you didn’t want to do. You felt obligated, but you’re not.
8. Make An Announcement: the beauty of finding your people, you know the people who really get you, love you, and want you to succeed, is that they will celebrate your decision to do something that others would see as “crazy.” It’s not. That thing that just popped into your mind, is probably the most authentic version of you possible.
9. Schedule Something: the beauty of a “fixed-event” is that no matter what something’s happening that day, ready or not! You’re integrity WON’T let you flake out. You’ll step up to the occasion.
10. Stop looking at media that bums you out: go on a media-fast for 5 days. No TV news, no “beauty” magazines that do anything but make you feel beautiful, no front page newspapers shouting all that’s wrong with the world. Try replacing them with TED talks, great books, and other news outlets that are reporting on inspiring, uplifting, positive happenings in the world. See how you feel after 5 days.
Not sure if you noticed, but I split the list: the first half is +++positive+++ stuff to ADD and the second half is mostly —-negative— stuff to remove. Which are you more likely to do?